Rasam is my favourite and is one of the most popular dishes in South India. After a long and a tired day when you come back home and take a sip of hot brewing rasam , you feel on cloud nine. This comfort food is easy to make and is filled with a burst of different flavours and spices which is why i decided to share with you this amazing recipe of rasam with a pineapple twist.
Cooked Thoor Dal – 1/4th cup (finely mashed)
Fresh Pineapple – 1 cup (finely cut)
Turmeric Powder – 1/4tsp
Red chillies – 2(Broken)
Green chillies – 2(chopped)
Curry leaves – few (coarsely crushed)
Cumin-Pepper – 1tsp
Tamarind extract – 1tsp
Grated Jaggery – 2 tsp (optional)
Salt – to taste
Dhal Rasam powder – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 1tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2tsp
Asafoetida powder- 2 pinches
Method : Cook the Pineapple in enough water until it is soft.
Add cooked Dhal, three cups of water,turmeric powder and all the other ingredients listed above.Boil for two minutes.
In the cooking pot, heat the oil and add mustard seeds. As they start to crackle, add asafoetida powder pour on top of the Rasam.
Rasam is healthy, easy to cook and filled with the goodness of rich South Indian authentic cuisine.There are many health benefits that accompany a hot bowl of Rasam which many are unaware of. I am sure that after reading this you would definitely grab a bowl for yourself.
- The ingredients in rasam, especially tamarind, are rich in antioxidants. Thus, it protects the body against attack of free radicals. The skin remains young, supple, and healthy.
- Rasam recipe is good for digestion. Drink a cup or small glass of rasam daily to be free from constipation and acidity problems.
- Rasam is rich in essential vitamins such as thiamin, folic acid, vitamin A, vitamin C, niacin, and riboflavin. Some of these vitamins act as antioxidants as well, keeping the body healthy.
- Rasam recipe also acts as an appetizer and is good for those who do not feel hungry due to some problems.
- Rasam is an ideal food for people to include in a balanced diet. Potassium, iron, calcium, zinc, selenium, copper and magnesium are the minerals provided by a serving of this delicious food.
- The black pepper content of rasam is what helps the body lose weight. It promotes removal of toxins by making the body sweat and produce more urine. Thus, the body’s metabolism is kept working properly.
- If you have just recovered from a fever and is not in a mood to eat anything heavy, a small quantity of rice with rasam will be safer on your stomach.
- Some sources claim that rasam is a dish that is also good for blood circulation and also nervous system.The list goes on and on…i would not want to bore our readers but would definitely want you guys to give this healthy recipe a try and let us know if you liked it. Till then, stay in touch with us for more such healthy and delicious recipies.